Subject: [FFML] [short][fic][Ranma][BGC][no really this time] Squick
From: Dan Root <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 12:21:03 -0400

Sorry about that.  I'm an idiot.  What else is new?

$Date: 1998/08/23 16:19:11 $ 
$Revision: 0.3 $

			    BML Productions
				  with
		  Greased Rabid Weasels on Crack Inc.
				present 
			   a RatherStupid fic

				 Squick
		A Ranma 1/2 / Bubblegum Crisis Crossover
				 by DaR

Ranma ducked, backpedaling away from the metal monstrosity, trying
to get some room to maneuver.   The thing, whatever it was, didn't
let up, but instead pressed forward, with astonishing speed.  At
some instinctual level, he also knew it was strong, probably a lot
stronger than Ryouga even.  The bulging metallic muscles, aggressive
lines, and whirring motors might have had something to do with the
impression.

The Bu-55c paused for a second as it's acquired target disappeared
from it's tracking lock.  Widening it's sensor arcs, it discovered
the human had somehow gotten behind it.  A quick analysis of the
data log showed the the meat-being had somehow moved at speeds only
to be expected of a machine such as itself.  The tactical computer
recommended upgrading the threat level to Severe, which the core
system accepted and implemented.

Stepping close behind it, Ranma cranked his hips around in a
devastating roundhouse kick.  The strike would have killed most
men, and not a few martial artists.  Instead his shin met with
something that felt like a steel pole, sending lances of fiery pain
up his leg.  The thing had turned its torso and held up it's arm
to block.  He was almost glad he hadn't hit the body after all.

Damage assessments flooded in, the prognosis was minimal, but not
insignificant.  The tactical unit again requested an upgrade in
threat level and was granted permission.  Additional targeting
units came online to hold the lock as primary weapon systems were
deployed and charged.  Evasion routines triggered, causing the unit
to take a short hop backwards, powered by a quick thruster burst.

This fight had to end, and fast.  None of Ranma's punches or kicks
seemed to do significant damage, other than to himself.  It jumped
back after the kick, making a slight whining sound deep inside its
chest.  The first sign of damage?   He began gathering his ki,
preparing to attack with something that would not involve turning
his own limbs into ground hamburger.

As the plasma cannon charged, sensory systems picked up a massive
localized energy spike.  More analysis subroutines kicked in,
sifting the input for possible explanations.  The target was creating
a electromagnetic field of some sort, type unknown, estimated
strength was sufficient to cause severe internal damage.  Again
tactical upgraded the threat assessment, now running at Extreme.
Evasion routines continued their work, directing a thruster-assisted
shift to the left.

Ranma let the crackling ball of ki go, sending it straight at the
boomer while yelling out, "Mouku Takashiba!"  Unfortunately his
opponent didn't seem to have the courtesy to stand still and be
hit by the attack, darting to his right.  Skipping back again, the
heir to the Musabetsu Kakutou Ryuu style of martial arts began to
realize just how much trouble he was in.  Nothing in his training
really covered near-invincible android killing machines.

The primary weapon system completed charging, reporting all subsystems
functional.  Secondary weapon systems spun up, deployed from their
housing.  Targeting systems reported lock confirmation and began
predictive extrapolation on the threat's motion.

As Ranma circled the gleaming blue-silver humanoid, trying to come
up with some attack that would exploit a weakness.  Or even find
a weakness.  That would be an improve-  He cut the thought off as
two more whines started up and the bulges on the back of its arms
popped open to reveal something weapon-like.  The fact was confirmed
as both started to sparkle, the whine of their rotation changing
into a dull angry roar.  Chips of stone peppered him from both
sides as he leaped to avoid the stream of glowing lead.

Tracking systems followed his motion, the predictive analysis
flushed due the the unexpected nature of the target's evasion.
Targeting subprocessors conferred briefly with with the sensory
and tactical units.  The target didn't appear to have thrusters,
despite it's speed.  A firing solution was achieved and the main
jaw dropped to reveal the plasma emitter.

Ranma Saotome's last thought went approximately like this:

"OH SHIT!"

				  ***

Author's Notes

This evolved from a random conversation about Jeff Wong's latest
in the 'The X That Wouldn't Die' series, wherein Ranma is the
walking equivalent of a battleship.  Basically it was decided that
if Ranmaverse physics applied he'd have no trouble destroying a
boomer, probably without breaking a sweat.  On the other hand, BGC
physics is closer to (but not, that is to say, completely) realistic
and well... this fic is pretty much what would happen if he tried
to take one on, IMO.

This fic was written, much like SODB, very late at night when I
ought to have been doing other things, like sleeping or saving the
world from evil alien plots.  As such, please forgive the horrible
grammar and spelling, as opposed to my normally only awful grammar
and spelling.

	-DaR
-- 
Dan Root - [email-masked]